The Australian Attorney-General's Office has released the Privacy Act Review Discussion Paper and seeks comments before 10 January 2022. The discussion paper considers these matters:
- Scope, application & effectiveness of the Privacy Act
- Direct rights of action by individuals
- Statutory tort for invasion of privacy
- Notifiable data breach scheme effectiveness
- Enforcement power effectiveness
- Aspects of a certification scheme
Concurrently, the AG's Office is holding this consultation at the same time as a consultation on the exposure draft of the Privacy Legislation Amendment (Enhancing Online Privacy and Other Measures) Bill 2021 (Online Privacy Bill).
The Online Privacy Bill addresses the pressing privacy challenges posed by social media and certain other online platforms.
The Privacy Act Review seeks to build on the outcomes of the Online Privacy Bill to ensure that Australia's privacy law framework empowers consumers, protects their data and supports the Australian economy.